How 2 Make a Rocket
Last week we Travelled to the Stars on home made rockets. With a few bits and pieces that you might have at your house you to can join the space race. Here's how;
Step 1 - Gather Some Stuff
You will need;
- A 500cc plastic bottle
- A cork from a wine bottle
- Some sticks or barbecue skewers
- Some colourful paper or stickers
- Bicarbonate of soda (baking powder)
- A bottle of vinegar
- A tissue
Step2 - Add Legs
- Use your tape and sticks to make some legs for your rocket.
- The legs need to be all the same length, so your rocket will stand up straight.
- Make sure there is enough room beneath the neck of your rocket so that the cork can pop out easily.
- Two pairs of hands are often better than one for this job
Step3 - Decorate with Shiny Stuff
- Use your shiny paper, tin foil, glue, paint or whatever you have
- Mix it with imagination and make your rocket look cool
Step4 - Fuel and Launch
- Pour vinegar into your rocket until it is 1/3 full
- Roll 1 table spoon of bicarbonate of soda in a tissue
- Quickly stuff the tissue into the bottle and fit the cork, place the rocket on the launch pad and retire to a safe distance then watch it go!
It may be any where between a few seconds to a minute or so before the rocket launches as the baking soda and vinegar has to mix to make carbon dioxide (the same stuff you get in fizzy drinks) to make the rocket launch.
Here's a video of some rocket making and launching we did at the club...